The Indian Medical System has seen exceptional growth in the past few years. There are various top medical colleges in India that offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses, such as MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BHMS, BPT, MS, MD, M.Ch, etc. MBBS is the most sought course after class 12th for the students who aspire to become doctors in the future.
The Week, Outlook, India Today, and many other ranking sources have ranked various private and government medical colleges in India based on the medical courses. The best medical colleges in India provide better career prospects and clinical research and training to the students.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Medical Colleges in India by India Today
- Top 10 Medical Colleges in India by Outlook
- Medical Colleges in India based on Zones
- Specialisation-wise Medical Colleges in India
- Fee Structure of Top Medical Colleges in India
- Entrance Exams accepted for Medical Colleges
- Admission and Eligibility Criteria for Medical Colleges
- Cut Off for Top Medical Colleges in India
- Scope of MBBS
- Medical Colleges’ Placements
Top 10 Medical Colleges in India by India Today
Following is the list of Top 10 medical colleges by India Today ranking 2021:
|India Today Ranking 2021||Name of the College||MBBS Total Tuition Fees (INR)|
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||7,300|
|2||Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore||33,00,000|
|3||Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune||64,950|
|4||Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi||15,450|
|6||Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi||1,49,000|
|7||King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||2,46,000|
|8||Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Delhi||1,67,500|
|9||Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi||7,700|
|10||University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi||60,000|
Top 10 Medical Colleges in India by Outlook
Following is the list of Top 10 medical colleges by Outlook ranking 2021:
|Outlook Ranking 2021||Name of the College||Outlook Score|
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||889.47|
|2||Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi||773.96|
|4||King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||688.84|
|5||Madras Medical College (MMC), Tamil Nadu||669.11|
|6||Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh||667.05|
|7||Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Delhi||659.07|
|8||Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi||644.73|
|9||University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi||640.2|
|10||Government Medical College & Hospital, Chandigarh||594.21|
Top Medical Colleges in India based on Zones
India Today releases the rankings of top medical colleges in India every year according to different zones. The zone-wise rankings of medical colleges are listed below.
Top Medical Colleges in North India
Below mentioned are the top medical colleges in North India as per India Today ranking:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi
- University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC), Aligarh
- BHU Varanasi
Top Medical Colleges in South India
Below mentioned are the rankings released by India Today for the top medical colleges in South India:
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal
- Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, Bangalore
- St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
Top Medical Colleges in East India
Below mentioned are the top medical colleges in East India as per India Today ranking:
- RG Kar Medical College & Hospital, Kolkata
- IPGMER, Kolkata
- Medical College & Hospital, Kolkata
- Darbhanga Medical College, Darbhanga
- Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata
Top Medical Colleges in West India
Below mentioned is the list of top medical colleges in West India as per India Today ranking:
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
- Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai
- DY Patil Medical College, Kolhapur
- KJ Somaiya Medical College, Mumbai
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
Specialisation-wise Medical Colleges in India
Medical colleges offer courses in various specialisations like anaesthesia technology, orthopaedic surgery, general medicine, paediatrics, public health, etc. Students can choose from numerous specialisations based on career opportunities. Few of the domains offer the scope of job opportunities in various fields with the highest salary package. Below mentioned are some of the top medical colleges with the specialisations that provide the highest salary.
Top Anaesthesia Technology Colleges in India
Anaesthesia Technology is a job-oriented course that includes the task to assist Doctors/ Surgeons during surgery by providing an appropriate dose of anaesthesia when required. Listed below are some of the top medical colleges for anaesthesia technology course in India:
- JIPMER, Puducherry
- DY Patil University, Mumbai
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
Top Public Health Colleges in India
Public Health refers to the science and art of protecting safety and improving the health of people. It has a good career scope in India as the students get educated in different sectors such as public policy, environmental science, sociology, etc. that increases the opportunity for a higher salary range. Listed below are some of the top medical colleges for public health course in India:
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- PGIMER, Chandigarh
- JIPMER, Puducherry
- Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
Fee Structure for Top Medical Colleges in India
Medical colleges in India offer undergraduate, post-graduate, fellowship, doctorate courses such as MBBS, MS, MD,M.Ch, Ph.D., etc. These courses' fee structure varies from low to high depending on the type of college and the amenities provided. Below mentioned is the fee structure for the top public and private medical colleges in India:
Top Government Medical Colleges in India with MBBS Fees
Below mentioned are some of the top government medical colleges in India along with their MBBS:
|Name of Public Colleges||MBBS Fees Structure (Total Tuition Fees INR)|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi||7,300|
|Armed Forces Medical College, Pune||64,950|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry||31,000|
|Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi||15,450|
|Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi||1,49,000|
Top Private Medical Colleges in India with MBBS Fees
Below mentioned are some of the top private medical colleges in India along with their MBBS:
|Name of Private Colleges||MBBS Fees Structure (Total Tuition Fees INR)|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||2,00,000|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||55,00,000|
|St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru||27,89,300|
|Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi||90,00,000|
|Christian Medical College, Ludhiana||33,00,000|
Entrance Exams Accepted by Medical Colleges
Top medical colleges in India offer admission to the students based on the marks in various national or state-level entrance examinations. Medical colleges accept NEET-UG exam scores for admission to MBBS programs based on the All India Quota or State Quota seats. Below mentioned are some of the popular entrance exams for medical courses:
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
- JIPMER PG
- NEET MDS
- NEET SS
Admission and Eligibility Criteria for Medical Colleges
Medical colleges offer admission to various courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. Admission to medical colleges will be done based on the rank secured by the students in the national or state level entrance exams which is a merit-based admission. There is also a management quota acceptable by many private medical colleges with limited seats. Below mentioned is the eligibility criteria for admission to medical colleges:
Eligibility Criteria for Medical Colleges
Eligibility criteria are the guidelines for all the students to participate in the admission process. Candidates need to fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria for MBBS, MD, MS, and PhD level medical courses. Listed below are the general eligibility criteria for medical colleges in India:
- MBBS: Candidates must have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% marks in the science stream and must have completed 17 years of age during admission. Candidates must have a good score in any national or state-level medical entrance exams.
- MD/MS: Candidates must have done graduation in MBBS from any university recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) with a minimum of 55% marks and have a good score in the NEET PG entrance examination.
- DM: Candidates must possess a degree in MD/MS from a university recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
Admission in Medical Colleges
There are 1,650 medical colleges in India, out of which 1066 are private, and 584 are public/government medical colleges. Medical colleges offer specialisations such as pediatrics, gynecology, obstetrics, dentistry, etc., in UG and PG courses. Most of the top colleges' admissions are based on the NEET exam scores. Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) conducts NEET-UG examination for 15% All India Quota (AIQ) seats. State governments conduct the MBBS admission process for the remaining 85% seats. Following are the general admission criteria for medical colleges in India, and it varies from college to college:
- Admissions to MBBS programs in top medical colleges are made based on the NEET-UG exam scores. Candidates aspiring for 15% AIQ seats must visit the Medical Counselling Committee's official website for the registration process and pay the prescribed counseling fee.
- Candidates also get the option to submit preferences for seat allotment. The result will be announced on the official website based on the NEET-UG merit list. Candidates can download the seat allotment letter and report to the respective medical college for document verification.
- Candidates must have a valid NEET-PG exam score to apply for post-graduate courses such as MD, MS in the respective specialisation.
Cut Off for Top Medical Colleges in India
Top medical colleges release multiple cut off lists for admission in various UG and PG courses. Students will be given admission to courses based on the cut off score or rank in the entrance exams. The cut off may vary every year based on the certain factors set by the institutions. NEET-UG, NEET-PG entrance exams are some of the popular exams for admission to MBBS, MD, MS courses.
NEET-UG Cut Off
National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET-UG) is an examination conducted by the National Test Agency (NTA) for admission to MBBS, BDS and other undergraduate medical courses. AIIMS, JIPMER, MMC are some of the top medical colleges that offer admission to students based on the NEET-UG exam scores. Below mentioned is the NEET-UG cut off for some of the top colleges:
|Name of the Colleges||NEET-UG Cut Off (Rank-wise)|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi||51|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||934|
|King George’s Medical College, Bengaluru||1912|
Scope of MBBS
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery is the most popular bachelor's degree that makes the students eligible to carry "doctor" with their name. The MBBS in India is a 5.5-year duration course that helps the students get in-depth knowledge about the human body's anatomy, human cytology, and medicine during the 4.5 years. The final year is dedicated to gaining practical experience by internship. Below mentioned is the scope of MBBS:
- The student can work in the government or private sector as a doctor or venture into private practice.
- Many students also prefer to pursue post-graduate courses such as MD, and MS in the medical field that provide better career prospects and exposure.
- After completing MBBS, many students are hired by the medical college, hospitals, health ministry, nursing homes, pharmaceutical industries with immense possibilities to build a successful career in various job profiles such as Junior Doctors, Physicians, Researcher, Scientist, Medical Professor, etc.
Medical Colleges Placements
Various medical colleges in India offer good placement opportunities to students after completing their MBBS courses. The students are placed in various job profiles such as Junior Assistant, Junior Doctor, Research Assistant, etc. However, placement assistance is not a significant criterion for the students, as many prefer to pursue an MD or MS after completing their MBBS program.
Top Medical Recruiters
Listed below are some of the medical recruiters from the top medical colleges in India as per placement ratings:
|Name of the Colleges||Top Recruiters|
|PGIMER, Chandigarh||PGI Hospital, UNICEF, World Health Organisation|
|Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Delhi||Safdarjung Hospital, Endolite, Ossur, Ottobock|
|GE Healthcare, Lenskart, Nestle, Philips, Abbot, EpiSource, BioCon, Himalaya Drugs, Astra Zeneca Ltd|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Honeywell, Flipkart, Reliance, Novartis, Veritas|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||Infotech, Pfizer and Visionary RCM, etc.|
|Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore||Amazon, Google, IBM, Wipro|
Average CTCs offered in Top Medical Colleges in India
Listed below are the average salaries offered in various top medical colleges in India based on the institute’s official website:
|Name of the Colleges||Average CTCs Offered|
|King George's Medical University, Lucknow||45 LPA|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore||43 LPA|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi||24 LPA|
|Christian Medical College, Ludhiana||7 LPA|
|Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi||5 LPA|
Q. Which medical college has the lowest fees in India for MBBS?
A. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi, has the lowest fees as INR 1,628 per annum for MBBS.
Q. Which governing body approves the top medical colleges in India?
A. All medical colleges are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
Q. How long is an MBBS course in India?
A. MBBS course in India is a five and a half years duration course.
Delhi, Delhi NCR
9 / 10
8 / 10
Bangalore / Bengaluru, Karnataka
8 / 10
Bangalore / Bengaluru, Karnataka
9 / 10
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
8 / 10
10 / 10
5 / 10