Every commerce student dreams of becoming a Chartered Accountant (CA) one day. The CA Foundation is conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), which helps the aspirants achieve their goals. The regulatory body ICAI conducts 3 CA exams: Foundation, Intermediate, and Final. The CA Foundation exam is a must for aspirants who want to carve a niche in the sector of business accounting.
The CA Foundation December 2021 exam is scheduled to be conducted from Dec 13, 2021 to Dec 19, 2021.
Latest Updates for CA Foundation:
- Feb 7, 2022: The CA foundation is expected to release the ICAI CA results for Dec 2021 on Feb 11, 2022.
- What is CA Foundation?
- CA Foundation 2021 Exam Date
- CA Foundation 2021 Eligibility
- CA Foundation 2021 Registration
- CA Foundation 2021 Application Form
- CA Foundation 2021 Exam Pattern
- CA Foundation 2021 Syllabus
- CA Foundation 2021 Admit Card
- CA Foundation 2021 Exam Centres
- CA Foundation 2021 Result
- CA Foundation 2021 Cut Off
- How to prepare for the CA Foundation?
- CA Foundation Contact Details
What is CA Foundation?
CA Foundation is a national-level exam conducted in the month of January, June, and November/December. It is taken up by the candidates who are aspiring to become Chartered Accountants in India. It was formerly known as CA Common Proficiency Test (CA CPT).
About ICAI: The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is a statutory body, established on July 1, 1949, for regulating the profession of Chartered Accountancy in the country. The ICAI is the second largest professional body of Chartered Accountants in the world. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
Different levels of CA: In compliance with the Chartered Accountants Regulations 1988, ICAI conducts and administers the CA Foundation exam. It is an entry-level examination for students who wish to qualify in their journey to become a Chartered Accountants. Students who have completed their class 12 are eligible to take the CA Foundation exam. Students who are appearing for their class 12 exam are also eligible for this course. Candidates have to register for the course and should study for at least four months to appear in the foundation exam.
Results: The results will be published within 3-4 weeks after the exam has been conducted. The scorecard is considered valid for 3 years.
CA Foundation Exam Highlights
The exam details relevant to CA Foundation are tabulated below.
|Exam Name||CA Foundation (earlier known as CA CPT)|
|Full Form||Chartered Accountancy Foundation|
|Conducting Authority||The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)|
|Level of Exam||National|
|Exam Category||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Course Offered||Chartered Accountancy in India|
|Mode of Exam||Offline, as a Pen and Paper-based Test|
|Duration of Exam||4 Hours (2 Hours for each session)|
|Frequency||Multiple times a year|
CA Foundation 2021 Exam Date
The application process is completed for ICAI 2021 exams as per the official website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). Below are the details of all the important dates of CA Foundation 2021 as well as for Intermediate and Final course exams.
|CA Foundation Course Exam - Under New Scheme||Dec 13, 15, 17, and 19, 2021|
|Intermediate (IPC) Course Examination - Under Old Scheme||Group-I: Dec 6, 8, 10, and 12, 2021
Group-II: Dec 14, 16, and 18, 2021
|Intermediate Course Examination - Under New Scheme||Group-I: Dec 6, 8, 10, and 12, 2021
Group-II: Dec 14, 16, 18, and 20, 2021
|Final Course Examination - Under Old Scheme||Group -I: Dec 5, 7, 9, and 11, 2021
Group -II: Dec 13, 15, 17, and 19, 2021
|Final Course Examination - Under New Scheme||Group -I: Dec 5, 7, 9, and 11, 2021
Group -II: Dec 13, 15, 17, and 19, 2021
|International Trade Laws and World Trade Organisation (ITL & WTO), Part I Examination||Group A: Dec 5 and 7, 2021
Group B: Dec 9 and 11, 2021
|International Taxation - Assessment Test (INTT - AT)||Dec 5 and 7, 2021|
Candidates should be aware of the CA Foundation Exam Dates and other important dates as well.
|Application form start date||Sep 16, 2021|
|Last date to submit the application form||Sep 30, 2021|
|Submission of application with late fees (INR 600 or USD 10)||Oct 3, 2021|
|Application correction window (Change in examination city)||Oct 4, 2021 - Oct 10, 2021|
|Application Form Facility Reopening||Oct 11, 2021 - Oct 12, 2021|
|Admit card availability||Nov 19, 2021|
|CA Foundation December 2021 Exam Date||Dec 13, 2021, to Dec 19, 2021|
|Results Date||Feb 11, 2022|
Read More: CA Foundation Exam Dates
CA Foundation 2021 Eligibility
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria before registering for the exam. The basic CA Foundation Eligibility Criteria are given below.
|CA Foundation Eligibility Criteria||Details|
|Age Limit||No age Limit|
CA Foundation 2021 Registration
Candidates can fill in the CA Foundation Application Form and submit it on/before the last date. Candidates can still submit the application form with a late fee of INR 600 or USD 10 after the last application date. Candidates can read the following section to get more details about the CA Foundation registration.
How to Apply for CA Foundation?
Candidates can follow the steps given below to apply for the CA Foundation 2021 exam.
- Step 1: Candidates can visit the official website
- Step 2: Click on the ' Login/Register' icon.
- Step 3: Register yourself as a 'New User' by filling in all the required details and then by clicking on the 'Register' button.
- Step 4: You will receive your login ID and password on your registered email id.
- Step 5: Now login and fill in your details and address details for registration and save the details.
- Step 6: Then fill in the academic details, exam centre option, etc. in the application form.
- Step 7: Pay the application fee for CA foundation, upload your scanned photograph and signature, then click on the submit button.
Note: If you have made a mistake in the application form, ICAI will provide a correction window and in this period you can change the mistakes.
CA Foundation 2021 Registration Fee
The registration fee of CA Foundation is tabulated below:
|Details of Fee||For Indian Nationals (INR)||For Foreign Students (USD)|
|Cost of Foundation Prospectus||200||20|
|Foundation Registration Fee||9000||700|
|Subscription for Student’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||200||20|
|Subscription for Member’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||400||40|
Read More: CA Foundation Application Form
CA Foundation 2021 Application Form
The CA Foundation 2021 application form is available on the official website, candidates can visit the website and apply for the CA foundation. Candidates have to submit the application form before the last date.
An application fee for the CA foundation depends on the location of the candidates' selected test centre.
|Exam Centre||Application Fee|
|For Indian Centres||INR 1500|
|For Katmandu (Nepal) Centre||INR 2200|
|For Overseas Centres (Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Muscat, etc.)||USD 325|
Documents Required to Apply for CA Foundation
Various documents and details required to apply for the CA foundation are as follows.
- Candidate's name, valid email address, and other personal details.
- Permanent address
- Academic details
- Scanned images of the candidate's recent photograph and signature.
- Online fee payment options.
CA Foundation 2021 Exam Pattern
CA Foundation 2021 is an offline test (pen and paper-based). CA Foundation 2021 examination can be taken up in either English or Hindi, as preferred by the student.
There will be four papers in CA Foundation out of which Paper 1 & 2 are subjective while Paper 3 & 4 are objective.
- Paper 1: Principles and Practice of Accounting
- Paper 2: Business Laws & Business Correspondence
- Paper 3: Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning & Statistics
- Paper 4: Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge
Details regarding CA Foundation Exam Pattern are given below:
|Mode Of Exam||Offline|
|Number of Papers||4|
|Duration||Paper 1 & 2: 3 hours; Paper 3 & 4: 2 hours|
|Marking Scheme||100 marks for each paper|
|Negative Marking||No negative marking for Paper 1 & 2; -0.25 marks for Paper 3 & 4.|
Read More: CA Foundation Exam Pattern
CA Foundation 2021 Syllabus
Candidates preparing for the CA Foundation 2021 must have a good idea about the latest syllabus and should also refer to the detailed topics for each subject. This gives candidates a better understanding of the type of questions to expect in the CA Foundation exam.
The questions in CA Foundation 2021 will be based on topics like Fundamental of Accounting, General Economics, Mercantile Laws, and Quantitative Aptitude.
The CA Foundation Syllabus is given below:
CA Foundation syllabus for Principles and Practice of Accounting
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Principles and Practice of Accounting is given below:
- Theoretical Framework
- Accounting Process
- Bank Reconciliation Statement
- Concept and Accounting of Depreciation
- Accounting for Special Transactions
- Final Accounts of Sole Proprietors
- Partnership Accounts
- Financial Statements of Not-for-Profit Organisations
- Introduction to Company Accounts
- Basic Accounting Ratios (profitability, solvency, liquidity, and turnover)
CA Foundation Syllabus for Business Laws & Business Correspondence and Reporting
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Business Laws & Business Correspondence and Reporting are given below:
Section A: Business Laws
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- The Sale of Goods Act, 1930
- The Indian Partnership Act, 1932
- The Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008
- The Companies Act, 2013
Section B: Business Correspondence and Reporting
- Sentence Types
- Vocabulary Root Words, Synonyms, Antonyms, Prefixes, Suffixes, Phrasal Verbs, Collocations & Idioms
- Comprehension Passages
- Note Making
- Introduction to basic writing
- Precis Writing
- Article Writing
- Report Writing
- Writing Formal Letters
- Writing Formal Emails
- Resume Writing Meetings
CA Foundation syllabus for Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning & Statistics
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning & Statistics are given below:
Part A: Business Mathematics
- Ratio and proportion, Indices, Logarithms
- Equations and Matrices
- Linear Inequalities with Objective Functions and Optimizations
- Time value of Money
- Permutations and Combinations
- Sequence and Series
- Sets, Functions, and Relations
- Basic concepts of Differential and Integral Calculus
Part B: Logical Reasoning
- Number Series
- Direction Tests
- Setting Arrangements
- Blood Relations Syllogism
Part C: Statistics
- Statistical Description of Data
- Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
- Theoretical Distributions
- Correlation and Regression
- Index Numbers and Time Series
CA Foundation Syllabus for Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge is given below:
Part 1: Business Economics
- Introduction to Business Economics
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Theory of Production and Cost
- Price Determination in Different Markets
- Business Cycles
Part 2: Business and Commercial Knowledge
- Business and Commercial Knowledge: An Introduction
- Business Environment
- Business Organizations Government Policies for Business Growth
- Organizations Facilitating Business
- Common Business Terminologies
Read More: CA Foundation Syllabus
CA Foundation 2021 Admit Card
The applicants can download the CA Foundation 2021 admit card from the official website by entering their login details.
Online copy: Candidates should remember that no hard copy of the admit card will be sent to the candidates, the CA Foundation Admit Card will be available on the official website. Candidates need to take a printout on an A4 size sheet.
Requirement: All the candidates will have to carry the printed copy of the admit card for entry to the examination hall during CA Foundation 2021.
How to download CA Foundation Admit Card?
Once ICAI releases admit cards on their official website, candidates can follow the steps below to download them.
- Step 1: Visit the official website.
- Step 2: You have to log in with your credentials.
- Step 3: Now you can see the icon 'Admit Card', click on it, and view your admit card.
- Step 4: Click on the 'Print Admit Card' to take the printout in an A4 size sheet.
Note: If you lose your admit card, you can take a printout again by following the same steps.
Details Mentioned on the CA Foundation Admit Card
The contents present on CA Foundation admit card are:
- Name of the candidate
- Candidate’s photograph and signature
- Name of the examination centre
- Roll number
- Examination city
- Medium of examination
- Candidate’s address
- Exam day instructions
Note: Candidates can download the CA Foundation admit card a maximum of three times.
Read More: CA Foundation Admit Card
CA Foundation 2021 Exam Centres
Candidates have to choose the exam centre during the application process. The CA Foundation 2021 will be conducted in a total of 400+ exam centres in India and 8 overseas exam centres. They are as mentioned below:
- Overseas Exam Centres: Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Kathmandu, Muscat, Kampala, Kuwait, and Bahrain.
- Exam Centres in India: A list of CA Foundation Exam Centres are given in the following table:
Additional Exam Centres
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ICAI has announced that they will open additional test centres for all the CA exams. Candidates can select the above or below mentioned new test centres at the time of the CA Foundation 2021 application process.
|Name of the State||Name of the Exam City|
|Andhra Pradesh||Srikakulam and Vizianagaram|
|Assam||Silchar, Golaghat, Jorhat, Nagaon, Sibsagar and Tezpur|
|Bihar||Banka, Begusarai, Arrah, Motihari, Gaya, Gopalganj,
Jamui, Jehanabad, Katihar, Lakhisarai, Madhepura, Madhubani,
Munger, Bihar Sharif, Nawada, Purnea, Sasaram, Samastipur, Chhapra,
Sitamarhi, Siwan, Supaul, Hajipur and Bettiah
|Chattisgarh||Janjgir, Korba and Rajnandgaon|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli||Silvassa|
|Gujarat||Amreli, Palanpur, Nadiad, Mehsana, Godhra, Porbandar, Himatnagar and Patan|
|Himachal Pradesh||Hamirpur, Solan, Kangra, Mandi and Una|
|Jharkhand||Bokaro Steel City, Deoghar, Dumka, Giridih, Hazaribagh and Ramgarh|
|Karnataka||Bagalkot, Bidar, Vijayapura, Chamaraja Nagar, Chikamgalur,
Chikkaballapur, Chitradurga, Gadag, Hassan, Haveri, Madikere, Kolar,
Koppal, Mandya, Raichur, Tumakuru and Sirsi
|Kerala||Idukki, Kasaragod, Adoor and Kalpetta|
|Maharashtra||Bhandara, Buldhana, Hingoli, Nandurbar, Osmanabad, Sindhudurg,
Wardha, Washim and Melegaon
|Nagaland||Kohima / Dimapur|
|Odisha||Angul, Balangir, Balasore, Bargarh, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Jajpur,
Kendrapara, Keonjhar, Jeypore, Puri and Rayagada
|Punjab||Mandi Gobindgarh, Ferozepur, Pathankot, Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Mansa
and Sri Muktsar Sahib
|Rajasthan||Bundi, Dausa, Dungarpur, Hanumangarh Town, Jalore, Jhalawar,
Nagaur, Rajsamand and Tonk
|Tamil Nadu||Cuddalore, Dharmapuri, Dindigul, Nagercoil, Karur, Hosur,
Nagapattinam, Namakkal, Ooty, Pudukkottai, Karaikudi, Theni,
Tiruvallur, Tiruvannamalai and Villupuram
|Telangana||Adilabad, Sangareddy, Shamshabad, Khammam, Mahabubnagar,
Medak and Nalgonda
|Uttar Pradesh||Faizabad, Azamgarh, Baghpat, Bahraich, Ballia, Basti, Bijnor, Badaun,
Deoria, Etah, Etawah, Ghazipur, Gonda, Hathras, Jaunpur, Amroha,
Lakhimpur Kheri, Kushinagar, Mirzapur, Pilibhit, Pratapgarh, Rae
Bareli, Rampur, Bhadohi, Shahjahanpur, Sonebhadra and Sultanpur
|Uttarakhand||Almora, Kotdwar and Kashipur|
|West Bengal||Haldia, Hooghly, Purulia and Kharagpur|
Read More: CA Foundation Exam Centres
CA Foundation 2021 Result
Results for the CA Foundation 2021 will be released by the ICAI soon after the exam. Candidates will be able to check their qualifying status for the Chartered Accountancy Foundation exam online on the official website.
How to check the CA Foundation Result?
Candidates can check the CA Foundation 2021 results by following the below steps.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of ICAI.
- Step 2: Click on 'Foundation Exam Results'.
- Step 3: You will be redirected to the 'Exam Results' page where candidates must enter their credentials (6 digit roll number and pin number/registration number of the candidate).
- Step 4: Candidates need to enter the Captcha as shown in the box provided and click on 'Submit'.
- Step 5: The candidate's CA Foundation Result will appear on the screen.
CA Foundation 2021 Scorecard Details
The result for the CA Foundation 2021 exam will consist of the following details:
- Candidate's roll number
- Candidate's name
- Paper number
- Subject name
- Minimum and maximum marks
- Total marks obtained
- Qualifying status
Note: Also, candidates who obtain a minimum of 70% marks in the CA Foundation 2021, will receive a “Pass with Distinction” certificate from the ICAI.
Read More: CA Foundation Result
CA Foundation 2021 Merit List
After the CA Foundation 2021 results are declared, the ICAI will publish the merit list of the top 50 rank students who cracked the exam. Candidates need to click on the 'Merit list' option and enter their roll number/registration number to access the merit list.
CA Foundation 2021 Cut Off
Candidates have to score the minimum marks set by the ICAI to get shortlisted for Common Proficiency Course (CPC). The candidates must score a minimum of 50% on average and a minimum of 40% marks on each paper. The cut off is issued by the exam authority along with the result of the exam. Candidates must remember that there are different cut offs for all the categories, so they must check the cut off with relevance to them.
Factors Affecting CA Foundation Cut Off
CA Foundation cut-off depends on several factors which determine the eligibility of the candidates for the further rounds. Some of the important factors which are considered for the cut off are listed below:
- The number of candidates who have applied for the exam
- Seat availability
- The number of candidates who have appeared for the exam
- Previous years' cut-off trends.
- The number of candidates who qualified for the exam
- Reserved categories
- Marking scheme
- Paper difficulty levels
CA Foundation Cut Off 2021 (Expected)
The expected minimum marks to qualify for the CA Foundation 2021 exam for each of the papers are tabulated below.
|Section||Sectional Cut Off for CA Foundation||Overall Percentage Required|
|Paper I- Principles and Practice of Accounting||40 Marks||50%|
|Paper-II- Business Laws & Business Correspondence and Reporting||40 Marks|
|Paper III- Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning & Statistics||40 Marks|
|Paper IV- Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge||40 Marks|
CA Foundation Cut Off 2019
The table below represents the sectional cut off marks and the overall percentage required to qualify for the CA Foundation exam. Candidates can check the sectional cut off for each of the subjects to be eligible for the counselling process.
|Section||Sectional Cut Off for CA Foundation||Overall Percentage Required|
|Paper I- Principles and Practice of Accounting||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)||200 Marks out of the maximum marks (50%)|
|Paper-II- Business Laws & Business Correspondence and Reporting||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
|Paper III- Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning & Statistics||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
|Paper IV- Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
Past 6 Years Application Trends for CA Foundation
The following table has details as to how many students have passed CA Foundation over five-plus years.
Graph of total students who have taken up the CA Foundation from June 2011 to June 2016:
Inference: The above graph depicts the trend from 2011-2016. The candidates can check the difference between the number of candidates who appeared and those who qualified.
Red and green bar: The red bar denotes students who have appeared for the exam and the green bar shows the students who passed the ICAI CA Foundation exam.
June 2016 Exam Trends
Demographic information: The above graph shows the demographic distribution of the candidates who have appeared for the exam in June 2016. You can infer from the graph that the pass percentage for CA Foundation June 2016 was 40.5%.
December 2016 Exam Trends
Demographic information: The above graph shows the demographic distribution of the candidates who have appeared for the exam in December 2016 and qualified in the same. One can infer from the above graph that the pass percentage for ICAI CA Foundation in December 2016 was 46%.
Important Guidelines for CA Foundation
Provided below are some important guidelines candidates must keep in mind with regards to the CA Foundation 2021.
- Time of the registration: The candidate has to reach the allotted examination centre 30 minutes before the start of the examination to complete the registration formalities well before the time.
- Stationery products: Carry 2 black ball pens, 3-4 HB pencils, and other requirements for examination. The candidate has to mark the responses with an HB pencil and write details with a black ball pen.
- Carefully fill in the circles in the OMR sheet: Aspirants need to check twice after filling the circles in the OMR sheet and other details in the examination.
- Use a rough page for calculations: All calculations should only be done on the rough pages of the question paper. Avoid calculations in any other place.
- Response & marks: Attempt only those questions in which you are confident. Keep in mind that there is a negative marking of -0.25 for Papers 3 and 4.
- Test conducted as per schedule: No candidate will be allowed to leave his/her seat or the examination hall until instructed to do so.
- Scribble pads: Scribble pads will be provided to the candidates in the examination hall by the invigilators. The same should be used for all rough work.
- Minimum attempt of questions: The candidate should attempt 160 questions with full confidence than attempting 200 questions with 40 wrong attempts.
- Avoid carrying expensive products: Except for the CA Foundation 2021 admit card and identity proof, candidates are not allowed to carry any textual material, electronic watches, mobile phones, pagers, or any other device inside the examination hall.
How to Prepare for the CA Foundation 2021 Exam?
To prepare for the CA Foundation 2021 exam, candidates must follow these strategies.
- Make a proper schedule.
- Prepare short notes as per the topics listed in the syllabus.
- Have a good command over the calculator.
- Do three to four times of revisions per day.
- Attempts mock tests as much as possible.
- Follow time-management strategies for each section to ensure you use your time effectively during the exam.
- Practice previous year's papers. It will help the candidates to analyze what type of questions are being asked in the exam.
Read More: CA Foundation Previous Year Question Papers
CA Foundation Contact Details
Candidates who want to contact the CA Foundation exam authorities can refer to the below-mentioned details.
The Additional Secretary (Exams)
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
New Delhi 110 002
Helpline Numbers: 0120-3054 851, 3054 852, 3054 853, 3054 854, 3054 835, 4953751,
4953752, 4953753, 4953754
E-mail address: - [email protected]
Official Website: icaiexam.icai.org
What is Foundation Exam for CA?
If a student aspires to take up a career as a Chartered Accountant then CA Foundation Exam is the first step towards that direction. It is conducted twice a year by ICAI.
Is a calculator allowed in CA Foundation Exam?
Although calculators are allowed in CA Foundation Exam, scientific calculators and calculators with more than 6 functions, 12 digits, and 2 memories are not allowed.
How many subjects are there for CA Foundation?
There are four papers in CA Foundation, they are Principles and Practice of Accounting, Business Laws And Business Correspondence, Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, And Statistics and Business Economics And Business & Commercial Knowledge.
What are the pass marks of the CA Foundation exam?
To pass in CA exam candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% average in all the papers together and a minimum of 40% marks in each paper.
How many attempts for CA Foundation?
You will have a total of 6 attempts to clear the exam.
When can I give CA Foundation?
You can give CA Foundation after your 12th exam.
What is the syllabus for CA Foundation?
CA foundation will have four papers namely Principles and Practice of Accounting, Business Laws And Business Correspondence, Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, And Statistics and Business Economics And Business & Commercial Knowledge. And the topics will be from these papers.
What is the last date to apply for CA Foundation 2021?
The last date to apply for CA Foundation 2021 is Sep 30, 2021
Is CPT replaced by CA Foundation?
CA Foundation was formerly known as CA CPT.
Is there an exemption in CA Foundation?
No, there is no exemption in CA Foundation Exam, but there is the concept of exemption in CA Intermediate and CA Final exams.
I have submitted the ICAI CA 2021 online submission for July 2021 cycle. Can I opt out of the exam?
Yes. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has announced that the ICAI CA July 2021 cycle exam will be merged with the upcoming November 2021 cycle. Candidates are opted out of the July 2021 cycle by default, and they can attempt the exam in November without paying any extra fee or re-registration.